St. John Neumann was born in Bohemia in 1811, in what is now the Czech Republic. He was ordained in 1835 and moved to the United States and later became the Bishop of Philadelphia. As bishop, he was the first to organize a diocesan Catholic school system. He was declared a saint in 1977.
In 2002, LGA worked with the Diocese of Las Vegas, and founding parish members on what would eventually become the St. John Neumann Roman Catholic Church in North Las Vegas. The Master Plan called for a Parish Hall, Church, and Education Center. The first phase of the Master Plan was completed in 2003 with LGA’s design of a 29,000 square foot Parish Hall.
In late 2015, LGA began working closely again with the Pastor and his staff to provide design and support materials to help the Parish with fundraising for a new Church. The design includes a 1,200-seat worship area, a Blessed Sacrament Chapel, Choir, Gift Shop, Restrooms, Multi-Purpose Room, and a large covered entry area.
Taking some initial cues from the existing Parish Hall style, the new 28,000 square foot Church transforms into a traditional Basilica style, beginning with the large entry portico and carried through the large gabled roof and clerestory running the length of the building. A deep, desert color palette, softened with natural stone wraps the Church and presents a sense of warmth and welcome to all visitors.
Inside, the large lobby gathers parishioners and draws them into to the Nave, or worship area, which reflects a modern layout with a sloped, fan-shaped seating area that creates a more intimate setting. Within the center of the Nave is the Baptismal Font, which will accommodate full immersion baptisms, and allow for parishioners to be present during this important rite of passage. Surrounding walls are broken up with statuary niches and devotional areas, and stained glass windows. The sloped ceiling is punctuated in the center by the higher clerestory volume, drawing the eyes to the large dome above the altar, and clear views of the Altar, Choir and Blessed Sacrament Chapel.